Though the Justin Bieber holiday station is playing on Pandora in the background (of which I am shameless), I still have “Manic Monday” running through the music log of my head. But realizing that it’s not just a manic day, I look for similar alliteration and find that it’s just another – perfectly – simple Sunday. Why, you ask?
1. It’s a season of hope in the midst of chaos – I am grateful for our Sunday morning community that reminds me of this truth. And the carols we get to sing. And the faces I get to see. And the sweetened jasmine tea that is free for the sampling and to warm the hands during said service.
2. For that damn dog, Mr. Darcy. He really need not be “damned,” but again, in apparently aiming for alliteration, I say damn with the clearest and purest and nicest of intentions. Every once in a while we let him climb onto the couch while we’re watching a movie or TV show; so last night, he had the grand opportunity to sit in between the both of us while we watched GLEE a few days late. And at one point, eyes diverted from Rachel and Finn, I looked over to the HBH and the DD […new code name for the dog?], both alert, with four eyes fixed forward to the television screen. Does your dog watch TV with you? Was mine just faking it well? More importantly, are we rotting his border collie brain by letting him view the tube? Enlighten me, dog whisperers!
3. For a yummy dessert that’s baking in the oven right now: banana upside-down cake!
There was really no method to this recipe-choosing madness except for the fact that I had about 10 uneaten bananas begging for redemption and we happened to have all of the ingredients. For the recipe, visit Epicurious.
(Although, foodies, what’s your opinion: did I ruin the cake by using one egg + 1/3 cup egg whites? I’d run out of eggs, and determined not to need to drive nor ask the neighbors, I went for it. Bad call? We shall see).
4. The happiness of recent and upcoming weddings, recent and upcoming babies, and of course THE MUPPETS movie that we just happened to see last night. Score!
5. Ball-throwing with neighbor Mark. I love that friend.
6. The Justin Bieber holiday station on Pandora – this is not merely the opening sentence of this blog, but worthy of a number itself.
7. The HBH. Need I say more? I got myself a good one.
8. Leaving for Oregon in four days. I’m taking bets on how long it’ll take to get up there, hoping for not another year’s adventure like this horrid one.
9. Let’s go back to the Muppets’ movie – have you seen it yet? Upon driving home from the theater yesterday, I was telling the HBH that to me they’re the epitome of all that is good and funny and hopeful and simple and full of redemption. I really don’t think I’m reading into things too much, for isn’t the lasting smile during and after the movie proof enough?
And now we’re off to a little holiday game night of sorts, where I intend to dominate in Settlers of Catan – or at least have fun doing it.
Happy Advent, folks!0