If you’ve been tracking with me for any length of time, you know the love affair that’s begun with BBT (or Barbara Brown Taylor, for those of you who prefer names in whole), how I salivate over her writing. She was my author of the year in 2014, although I don’t think I’ll be letting her books go any time soon. Well, the other day, popular blogger Modern Mrs. Darcy wrote about what’s saving her life, referencing a story from Leaving Church.
She (MMD) writes this:
Once when Taylor was invited to speak at a gathering, her host told her simply, “Tell us what is saving your life right now.” She says it’s too good a question not to revisit from time to time.
I couldn’t agree more. Besides that speaking prompt being dreamier than dreamy to someone like me, I appreciate the way MMD invites her readers in and asks them to do the same.
So, what is saving your life right now?
1. Going to the gym. Let me rephrase: taking advantage of childcare at the gym so I can get 45 minutes of Elliptical-filled alone time.
3. This brilliant machine:
Seriously y’all, tonite’s dinner is brought to you by a can of Rotel tomatoes, a jar of Trader Joe’s Cowboy Caviar, a handful of spices and a couple of chicken breasts. We’ll see how it dishes out over a plate of tacos!
4. Our tried and true Nespresso machine. Because, obviously.
5. The television show that should come complete with its own box of Kleenex:
6. This quote from Erin Lane’s new book (read it! read it!), and My People associated with it:
‘Professor Rebecca Adams was quoted in a New York Times article called “Friends of a Certain Age” explaining that the three conditions for adult friendships are “proximity; repeated, unplanned interactions; and a setting that encourages people to let their guard down and confide in each other.’
7. A year-long membership to the San Francisco zoo. Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!
8. Half an avocado + lime juice + a pinch of salt = heaven in a spoon.
9. Group texts with Mama and Sister, All Serious, All the Time:
That’s about it. What about you? What’s saving your life this winter?0