Ya’ll: it’s been awhile since I boasted an award. I mean, I did win an award for Excellent Punctuality while working at Starbucks in college, but that quickly lost its shine when I then was told I was too chatty with the customers. So I’m friendly, Bossy-Boss, what’s wrong with that? But tell me, what’s your favorite color? How was your weekend? Want to be besties?
But today is different, for today I’ve been Liebstered.
The Liebster Award is given by nomination from a fellow blogger. It’s an award for small bloggers made to encourage one another. Liebster is a German word for “sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing & welcome.”
And really, if you’re reading this right now, you’re a Liebster in my heart – but first, a few questions need to be answered…
1. Why did you start blogging? Quite honestly? To gain a platform and subsequent audience upon entering the wide, wide world of writing and speaking – and here we are!
2. What is your favorite book? That’s such a mean question. Ugh. But Pilgrim at Tinker Creek (Annie Dillard) and Traveling Mercies (Anne Lamott) will always remain two of my very favorite books, forever and ever, always. (Madeleine L’Engle, Lauren Winner and YA author John Green are quickly climbing up the favorite author ladder as well).
3. What makes you laugh out loud? My baby. And the HBH (Hot Black Husband). And if you’re looking for something more generally accessible to the general public, Tina Fey, hands down.
4. What is your favorite social media? Instagram, always.
5. Who would play you in a movie? Hmm – although I’d love to hand the honor (ahem) to Julia Roberts, I’m going for Molly Shannon because that would quite possibly be nothing short of hilariously amazing. Superstar!
6. How long have you been blogging? I initially started blogging back in 2005, as a way to tell stories upon stepping into full-time ministry. But I wasn’t very good at a) writing regularly, and b) being all the way honest with myself and with others (because I thought I needed to put on my Everything Is Perfect When You’re Working for Jesus hat). So, with regularity and intentionality, it’s been for the past 10 months.
7. What time of day do you write? During that magical thing called nap time, or after the HBH gets home from work.
8. What is the most annoying song in the universe? I Wanna Sex You Up! You’re welcome.
9. What part of your home is your favorite? The dining room table – because that’s where the most intentional and beautiful and delicious of life happens.
10. What is your favorite recipe? That too is a very, very mean question, so I’m going to go with two mentioned last week, Cheesy Egg Rice and Molly Wizenberg’s Spring Salad with Avocado and Feta. (Of the latter, it’s the third recipe down, but I wasn’t able to link it directly for some reason).
11. What is your favorite season? Although I love the orange and browns of fall, my internal body temperature is happiest in or around a balmy 75-80 degrees. So I’m going with summer: dinner’s on the grill, heirloom tomatoes are in abundance and Adventure seems to loom, always, ever present.
Thank you, Katie, for this lovely award – you are a kindred spirit of a soul, and we will meet in person someday. So, go: DO check out Katie’s blog, Cardigan Way, and also think about how you can cheer her and her husband on in their current adoption process.
And now, one of the best parts of this award is that as soon as you win it, you get to pass on the award love to one of your own favorite bloggers. I’m excited to nominate a dear old friend from back in the college days for her very own Liebster Award:
Jen is real and raw and has the ability to make each human being she encounters feel like a million bucks. I love that about her, so head over to her blog and say hello!
That’s it for today – so, what resonated with you? But this is what I really want to hear: what’s the best award you’ve ever won? (Brag away).